Monday, August 8, 2005

Two Updates

We’ve had quite a weekend with all the rain in Georgia. It meant cooler temperatures, so I’m not complaining. Working outside like I do, you take what you can get.

This will be short because Trenton is coming over early today. I’ll do a longer post tomorrow on a different topic with some pictures to spice things up a bit. I just wanted to post an update today on a couple of items.

First, thanks to all for the nice comments. The project mentioned in my last post spurred some interest in the community and it was nice to hear from so many of you. In all fairness, now that the gift has been sent and received, I thought I should let you know the rest of the story.

The gift was a piece of driftwood that I found on the docks one day. It had been pulled out of the river with a stack of other pieces of lumber. This piece was different from the rest, though. It was older, much older I’d guess. It had large wormholes in it, some an inch or more in diameter. It had symmetry. It had beauty. It needed a home more fitting than the Dumpster fate the rest of the wood faced. AND, it talked to me.

Okay, I know some of you will think I am a bit loony, but as soon as I put my hand on it, I heard a little voice in my head. It said, "Please send me to Judi." I’m serious. I heard the voice!

Most of you know our resident artist, Judi Heartsong. She was a strong influence on me to start this journal and I have mentioned her before. Judi has given so much of herself to this community that I thought it would be nice to give something back.

The problem was, this was a fragile piece of wood that was once a 1’X6"X8’ piece of lumber. Yes it was a board I wanted to send to Judi. Oh, and it was very light for it’s size and fragile. Hmmm. Did I mention fragile? Hence, the crate building project.

The fun in all of this is that it was a surprise gift and Judi read about the project and left a comment. http://journals.aol.com/judithheartsong/newbeginning/entries/1519  Then she received it and wrote about that in her journal, so you could see the whole story from both perspectives.

http://journals.aol.com/judithheartsong/newbeginning/entries/1520

On the down side, I was so focused on the deed itself that I did not get any pictures of the wood, the crate, or Trenton and I building the crate. That won’t happen again, I promise. Now, if you all ask nicely, perhaps Judi will publish a picture of the wood at her place so you can see what all the fuss was about. Remember, though, whether you like the wood piece or not, it was the thought that counts.

Thank you, Judi Heartsong. Thank you for all you have done for this community and thank you for all you have done for me.

Sam

PS

The second update for those who read this space regularly is the answer as to who is coming to my town for a visit. Our own E is coming with B to visit E’s family here in town. E is Emfeasel and I am sorry to say she just closed her journal so if you haven’t gotten to know this kind, witty, off the wall journalist, you may have to wait a while. If she goes public again it will be worth the wait. Oh, yes, I do know what the E stands for, but this is how most of us refer to her here in J-Land.

28 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Sam....... a picture is in the works and almost ready to be taken. Your shipping crate is being incorporated into the design to display the wood, and I will let you know as soon as I have the picture taken and posted.
All sorts of things speak to us if we only listen, I am so glad that your ears hear. Tell Trenton that Judi says hello............... cannot wait to hear about the visit with E.
judi

Anonymous said...

Sam and Judi I can't wait to see!!!
Betty

Anonymous said...

Well, aren't you just the social butterfly!  Enjoy your days with Trenton - almost back to school time, ya know!

Anonymous said...

Sam, that was so nice of you to send the driftwood to Judi. I love driftwood also. We see quite a bit on our waters. We once brought a whole stump home with us & made a flower garden around it with climates vines growing around it. It has since rotted all away. I have a couple of small pieces on a glass shelf with my violets. If E start a journal again maybe you will put her link in for us to visit her journal. Helen

Anonymous said...

Hi Sam - I know exactly what you mean about it talking to you. I've always loved driftwood & other treasures from the sea. They do have a certain feeling of life and way about them. Things often speak to us, if we only keep our ears open long enough to listen. I was so excited to hear Judi got her gift - can't wait to see it! ~ Lori

Anonymous said...

I love E....I have talked to her on the phone and she has become quite a friend to me. She is a real hoot and I don't know what I would do without her...however, she didn't mention this to me so now I may be feeling just a tad bit jealous. Hmmph!

Anonymous said...

Sam, B and I are looking foward to Labor Day. What you did for Judi was such a lovely thing....I cannot wait to see the driftwood!!...E

Anonymous said...

Funny how there are so many things in a day that can bring to mind one from j-land. I'm sure Judith will do amazing things with that peice of wood. And for some reason as I was reading this entry and the one before I just had a feeling that Judith was somehow wrapped up in all of this. I do hope she enjoyed getting that crate of yours open. LOL

What a thoughtful man you are to go to so much creative thinking to send such a gift.

Anonymous said...

Sam, I may look like Momma, but you are definitely kin to her.  She would have done something like that and would have loved your journals.  So would our would be author grandmother.  Lynn

Anonymous said...

I read about the project on yours and the other site. I think that was a great gift! A lot could be done with that piece of nature. Good job!

Anonymous said...

what a lovely story youand Judy have told....

now please a picture.


please.

Anonymous said...

Hi Sam~ Not feeling creative.  So ditto on Louie! What a thoughtful man you are to go to so much creative thinking to send such a gift. Sassy ;-)

http://journals.aol.com/Sassydee50/SassysWORD

Anonymous said...

Dear Sam,
What awonderful project! HOw great that Judi has worked on the wood too! And double terrific that Emfeasal is coming your way! I don't know her but I wissh you guys agreat visit!
hugs, natalie

Anonymous said...

Oh how awesome! I believe that lots of things can have beauty. I have a plastic cup in my computer room that I refuse to get rid of. It's just a plastic cup, but I think it's wonderful. I love it. Driftwood is awesome too. ;)

Ari

Anonymous said...

I know how much your thoughtful gift was appreciated!
About E ... glad that you'll get to meet, I'm thinking she might be coming my way soon too, looking forward to it!
                                                 *** Coy ***


Anonymous said...

how thoughtful of you to think of her..christie

Anonymous said...

HEY!  Looks like we have the same taste in JLand friends. I read Judith, and will some day try and come up with something worthwhile for her Essay Contests.

And E..., oh E, one of the best there are.

Good to see we think alike!

Jimmy

Anonymous said...

Hi ! I'm glad Judi got you into keeping this journal its quite interesting. It sounds like you had quite a weekend indeed. I can't believe all of that stuff came out of the water but it did. Your journal is a real treasure. You are a hard worker and a fascinating person as well as a talented writer. It might be time for a little rest from all that has been going on down at the dock. You might just want to get out on the water and rest a little. You deserve some down time....Take care of yourself.....

Anonymous said...

I hope Judi liked the board and appreciated all the effort and thought you put into in sending it.  I haven't been to her place in a while, but she IS an incredible artist.  ~Nikki

Anonymous said...

Hey... I know what that wood looks like as far as the surface goes.  I have found similar pieces in MD, as well as the Gulf of Mexico.  Never have found any from the Pacific~but as someone said once, "I ain't dead yet."   ;)

But I do have seaglass from the Pacific, as well as shells and a few items I have no idea what they are, but they look nice.  I think pieces of metal....

I will always be amazed how the sea can tear a huge ship apart.... but a piece of wood, or glass, or metal... even stone, can survive it's tides and currents.  

And I know what you mean about something 'speaking' to you.  I can certainly hear it calling Judi's name!  It will be kept as a jewel, or a sculpture.  As worshipped as the Sistine Chapel and treasured as the statue of David.  That much we all know.  What a great heartfelt thing to do.  

I've read that Judi will also take a picture of the package you and Trenton made.  I will thank her for that.  I'm sure it is so original, she may want to keep it, too ;)

Hope you had a great day.  I saw another entry here, so I'm coming back in a minute....

Cat

Anonymous said...

I cannot wait to see the beautiful piece of wood.

Anonymous said...

Came here through Judi, your entry on building the crate with your grandson was delightful.  I've seen your s/n lots of times but haven't stopped by before.  Very wonderful of you to put so much thought and energy into a gift for our resident Artist.  --Albert  

Anonymous said...

how sweet
marti

Anonymous said...

what a thoughtful gift to send her...driftwood is just beautiful.
Tracie

Anonymous said...

Ah, mystery revealed!  It is our own lovely E who comes your way!  Lucky.  Well, I know you'll take great care of her, but if you give her a hug, please hold it an extra second or two for me, 'k?

Dona

Anonymous said...

I am a little late reading the most recent entries, so trying to catch up.... but I did see the picture of the drift wood you sent to Judi... how unique, and special.  I know she will do something fabulous with it.

Enjoy your visit with E.  Such a small world in this big world we think we are in!!! It is interesting how people come into our lives.

Anonymous said...

   Hey there, Sam,   I just saw the "gift" you sent Judi.  It is beautiful !!  What a sweetheart you are, and no one deserves it more than dear Judi.  It was a lovely thing to do, and I can tell from her description of events that it meant soooo much to her.  Way to go, my friend !   Tina

Anonymous said...

Not only was the driftwood beautiful but the box you built, proved to be the perfect frame.  Judy is absolutely the kindest most wonderful person there is on this planet. And E?  Well,  she is an absolute delight too. I told her to think of me when ya'll have those wonderful Savannah dining experiences. I remember my days in the south and in Savannah....treasured experiences for sure.   Anne